Jump to navigation Jump to search
English applied mathematician and author of several influential texts on classical physics.
Coined the word vorticity in $1916$.
- Born: 29 November 1849 in Stockport, England
- Died: 4 December 1934 in Cambridge, England
Theorems and Definitions
- Lamb-Oseen Vortex (with Carl Wilhelm Oseen)
- Lamb-Chaplygin Dipole (independently of Sergey Alexeyevich Chaplygin)
- Lamb Wave
- Lamb Surface
Definitions of concepts named for Horace Lamb can be found here.
- 1879: A Treatise on the Mathematical Theory of the Motion of Fluids
- 1895: Hydrodynamics
- 1897: An Elementary Course of Infinitesimal Calculus
- 1910: The Dynamical Theory of Sound
- 1912: Statics, including Hydrostatics and the Elements of the Theory of Elasticity
- 1914: Dynamics
- 1919: The Evolution Of Mathematical Physics
- 1920: Higher Mechanics