Jump to navigation Jump to search
Prominent mathematician of the newly-founded Samarkand Institute.
Best known for calculating the value of pi ($\pi$) to $16$ decimal places.
- Born: c. 1380, Kashan, Iran
- Died: 22 June 1429, Samarkand, Transoxania
Theorems and Definitions
- The value of pi ($\pi$) to $16$ decimal places
- Law of Cosines (known in France as Théorème d'Al-Kashi (Al-Kashi's Theorem)
- Triple Angle Formula for Sine
- Khaqani Zij
- Sullam al-Sama
- The Treatise on the Chord and Sine
- The Key to Arithmetic in which Pascal's Triangle (under the name Khayyam's Triangle) is discussed
- 1416: Treatise on Astronomical Observational Instruments
- Plate of Conjunctions, an analog computing instrument used to determine the time of day at which planetary conjunctions will occur
- Plate of Zones, a mechanical planetary computer
Also known as
In Persian: محمد بن محمد بن الحسن طوسی -- Ghiyās-ud-dīn Jamshīd Kāshānī.