Polish mathematician and statistician who first introduced the modern concept of a confidence interval into statistical hypothesis testing.
Polish (although born in what is now Moldova)
- Born: 16 April 1894 in Bendery, Bessarabia, Russian Empire (now Transnistria, Moldova)
- Died: 5 August 1981 in Oakland, California, USA
Theorems and Definitions
Results named for Jerzy Neyman can be found here.
- 1930: On the problem of two samples (with Egon Sharpe Pearson)
- 1933: On the problem of the most efficient tests of statistical hypotheses (with Egon Sharpe Pearson)
- 1933: The testing of statistical hypotheses in relation to probabilities a priori (with Egon Sharpe Pearson)
- 1934: On the two different aspects of the representative method: The method of stratified sampling and the method of purposive selection (J. R. Stat. Soc. Vol. 97, no. 4: pp. 557 – 625) www.jstor.org/stable/2342192
- 1937: Outline of a Theory of Statistical Estimation Based on the Classical Theory of Probability (Phil. Trans. Ser. A Vol. 236, no. 767: pp. 333 – 380) www.jstor.org/stable/91337
- 1928: On methods of testing hypotheses (Atti del Congresso Internazionale dei Matematici: Bologna del 3 al 10 de settembre di 1928 Vol. 6: pp. 35 – 42)
- 1954: Probabilistic theory of clustering of galaxies with particular reference to the hypothesis of an expanding universe (Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians: Amsterdam, 1954 Vol. 2: pp. 298 – 299)
- 1956: Note on an Article by Sir Ronald Fisher (J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B Vol. 18, no. 2: pp. 288 – 294) www.jstor.org/stable/2983716
- 1958: Statistical approach to the problems of cosmology (with Elizabeth Leonard Scott)
- 1970: Statistical aspects of rain stimulation: Problems and prospects (with Elizabeth Leonard Scott)
- 1990: On the Application of Probability Theory to Agricultural Experiments. Essay on Principles. Section 9. (Statistical Science Vol. 5, no. 4: pp. 465 – 472)
Also known as
His name at birth was Jerzy Spława-Neyman.
Some publications of his can be found under that name.
- 2014: Christopher Clapham and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (5th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Neyman, Jerzy (1894-1981)