Mathematician:Lars Valerian Ahlfors
(Redirected from Mathematician:L.V. Ahlfors)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Finnish mathematician noted for his work in analysis.
- Awarded medal for research on covering surfaces related to Riemann surfaces of inverse functions of entire and meromorphic functions. Opened up new fields of analysis.
- For seminal discoveries and the creation of powerful new methods in geometric function theory.
- Born: 18 April 1907, Helsingfors, Finland, Russian Empire (now Helsinki, Finland)
- Died: 11 Oct 1996, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- Schwarz-Ahlfors-Pick Theorem (with Karl Hermann Amandus Schwarz and Georg Alexander Pick)
- Denjoy-Carleman-Ahlfors Theorem (with Tage Gills Torsten Carleman and Arnaud Denjoy)
Results named for Lars Valerian Ahlfors can be found here.
- 1937: Über die Blochsche Konstante (Math. Z. Vol. 42: pp. 671 – 673) (with Helmut Grunsky)
- 1953: Contributions to the Theory of Riemann Surfaces: Annals of Mathematics Studies (ISBN 0-691-07939-0)
- 1960: Riemann surfaces (with L. Sario)
- 1966: Fundamental Polyhedrons and Limit Point Sets of Kleinian Groups
- 1966: Lectures on quasi-conformal mappings
- 1973: Conformal Invariants: Topics in Geometric Function Theory