Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page collects mentions of minor (mainly contemporary) mathematicians whose biographical details are unavailable.
- The army of those who have made at least one definite contribution to mathematics as we know it soon becomes a mob as we look back over history; 6,000 or 8,000 names press forward for some word from us to preserve them from oblivion, and once the bolder leaders have been recognised it becomes largely a matter of arbitrary, illogical legislation to judge who of the clamouring multitude shall be permitted to survive and who be condemned to be forgotten.
- 1992: What is a Googly?
- 1995: The Guinness Book of Mindbenders (with David Wells)
- 1998: Why do Buses Come in Threes? (with Jeremy Wyndham)
- 1999: The Memory Kit
- 2002: How Long is a Piece of String? (with Jeremy Wyndham)
- 2003: Mindbenders and Brainteasers (with David Wells)
- 2004: How to Remember
- 2005: How to Take a Penalty (with John Haigh)
- 2007: How to Remember (Almost) Everything Ever
- 2007: Beating the Odds (with John Haigh) (paperback edition of How to Take a Penalty)
- 2007: Out of the Box
- 2008: How Many Socks Make a Pair?
- 2009: Improve Your Memory Today (with Dr Hilary Jones)
- 2010: Maths for Mums and Dads (with Mike Askew)
Charles Henry Edwards
- 1986: Calculus and Analytic Geometry (with David E. Penney)
- 1990: Games of cards, dynamical systems, and a characterization of the floor and ceiling functions (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 97: 466 – 477) (with K.P. Hadeler) www.jstor.org/stable/2323829
- 1975: Problem $7.6$ (Mathematical Spectrum Vol. 7: 67) (in which 10 Consecutive Integers contain Coprime Integer is presented)
- 1996: Coprimes in Blocks of Successive Integers (Discrete Mathematics Vol. 149: 313 – 317) (in which Coprimes in Blocks of Successive Integers is presented)
- 1976: An Extension of Lower Bounds for Odd Perfect Numbers (Not. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 22: A-55) (with M. Buxton)
Martín Hötzel Escardó
- 20 November 1998: Properly injective spaces and function spaces (Topology and its Applications Vol. 89, no. 1–2: 75 – 120)
J. Javier Escribano
- Dec. 2002: An Easy Proof of Hurwitz's Theorem (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 109, no. 10: 916 – 918) (with Manuel Benito) www.jstor.org/stable/3072459