Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Minor Mathematicians
This page collects mentions of minor (mainly contemporary) mathematicians whose biographical details are unavailable.
- The army of those who have made at least one definite contribution to mathematics as we know it soon becomes a mob as we look back over history; 6,000 or 8,000 names press forward for some word from us to preserve them from oblivion, and once the bolder leaders have been recognised it becomes largely a matter of arbitrary, illogical legislation to judge who of the clamouring multitude shall be permitted to survive and who be condemned to be forgotten.
- March 2012: A rational number of the form $a^a$ with $a$ irrational (The Mathematical Gazette Vol. 96: pp. 106 – 109) (with J. Marshall Ash)
- 1993: The Diophantine equation $x^2 + q^m = p^n$ (Acta Arithmetica Vol. 63: pp. 351 – 358)
Brian S. Thomson
- Jul. 1995: Twenty-Two Primes in Arithmetic Progression (Math. Comp. Vol. 64, no. 211: pp. 1337 – 1339) (with Paul A. Pritchard and Andrew Moran) www.jstor.org/stable/2153500
Raúl Ibáñez Torres
Richard J. Trudeau
- Nov. 2015: The Sheldon Conjecture (Math Horizons Vol. 23: pp. 12 – 15) (with Jessie Byrnes and Chris Spicer) www.jstor.org/stable/10.4169/mathhorizons.23.2.12
Nikolaos G. Tzanakis
- February 1989: On the practical solution of the Thue equation (J. Number Theor. Vol. 31, no. 2: pp. 99 – 132) (with B.M.M. de Weger)
- 1991: Simplifying the solution of Ljunggren's equation $X^2 + 1 = 2 Y^4$ (J. Number Theor. Vol. 37, no. 2: pp. 123 – 132) (with Ray Steiner)