Mathematician:Max August Zorn
Best known for Zorn's Lemma, which he discovered in 1935. This is also known as the Kuratowski-Zorn Lemma, thereby acknowledging the work of Kazimierz Kuratowski who had published a version of it in 1922.
- Born: June 6, 1906 in Krefeld, Germany
- Died: March 9, 1993 in Bloomington, Indiana, United States
Theorems and Definitions
- Artin-Zorn Theorem (with Emil Artin)
- Zorn's Lemma, also known as Kuratowski-Zorn Lemma (independently of Kazimierz Kuratowski)
Results named for Max August Zorn can be found here.
- 1935: A remark on method in transfinite algebra (Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 41: pp. 667 – 670) (in which Zorn's Lemma is presented)
- 1941: Alternative rings and related questions I: existence of the radical
- 1944: Idempotency of infinite cardinals
- 1945: Characterization of analytic functions in Banach space