Mathematician:Menelaus of Alexandria
Greek mathematician and astronomer.
Very little is known about him.
- Born: c. 70 CE, possibly in Alexandria, Egypt
- Died: c. 130 or 140 CE
Results named for Menelaus of Alexandria can be found here.
- Sphaerica, which survives in an Arabic translation
Several other works of his are known about, but unfortunately appear not to have survived:
- On the calculation of the chords in a circle
- On the Knowledge of the Weights and Distribution of Different Bodies
- The Book on the Triangle
- Elements of Geometry (translated into Arabic by Thabit ibn Qurra)
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Menelaus of Alexandria": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive