Jump to navigation Jump to search
Canadian mathematician, best known for Beatty sequences.
- Born: 1881 in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
- Died: 1970 in Toronto, Canada
Theorems and Definitions
- Beatty Sequence
- Complementary Beatty Sequence
- Beatty's Theorem, also known as the Rayleigh Theorem, for Lord Rayleigh
Results named for Samuel Beatty can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Samuel Beatty can be found here.
- 1917: Derivation of the Complementary Theorem from the Riemann-Roch Theorem
- 1926: Problems for Solutions: 3173-3180 (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 33: 159) www.jstor.org/stable/2300153
- 1927: Solutions: 3177 (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 34: 159) www.jstor.org/stable/2298716
- 1944: Theory of Algebraic Functions based on the Use of Cycles (with Muriel Wales)
- 1948: On the minimum value of the Riemann-Roch expression for order-bases in the large
- 1948: On the number of conditions to apply to a function $R (Z, U)$ to build it on an assigned local order-basis $t$
- 1952: A symmetric proof of the Riemann-Roch theorem, and a new form of the unit theorem ((with N.D. Lane)
- 1954: Upper and lower estimates for the area of a triangle
- 1956: Difference methods in the theory of local order bases and their equivalent normalized function bases