Also known as
Abstract algebra is also sometimes referred to as modern algebra.
- Results about abstract algebra can be found here.
The word algebra originates from the Arabic word al-ğabr, meaning balancing, reduction or restoration.
It originates from the name of a book, circa 825 C.E., by Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi:
- Al-Kitāb al-muḫtaṣar fī ḥisāb al-ğabr wa-l-muqābala (The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing)
- 1971: Allan Clark: Elements of Abstract Algebra ... (previous) ... (next): Introduction
- 1978: Thomas A. Whitelaw: An Introduction to Abstract Algebra ... (next): $\S 1$: Some very general remarks
- 1978: Thomas A. Whitelaw: An Introduction to Abstract Algebra ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 26$. Introduction