Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hungarian mathematician who was one of the founders of non-Euclidean geometry.
Son of Farkas Wolfgang Bolyai.
- Born: 15 December 1802 in Kolozsvár, Hungary (now Cluj, Romania)
- Died: 27 January 1860 in Marosvásárhely, Hungary (now Târgu-Mureş, Romania)
Theorems and Definitions
- Gauss-Bolyai-Lobachevsky Space (independently of Carl Friedrich Gauss and Nikolai Ivanovich Lobachevsky)
- 1832: Appendix to Tentamen by Farkas Wolfgang Bolyai
Also known as
His name is often seen rendered as Johann Bolyai.
- 1991: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Geometry ... (previous) ... (next): A Chronological List Of Mathematicians
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Bolyai, János (1802-60)
- 2014: Christopher Clapham and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (5th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Bolyai, János (1802-60)