Definition:Complex Number/Definition 1
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A complex number is a number in the form $a + b i$ or $a + i b$ where:
The set of all complex numbers is denoted $\C$.
- Results about complex numbers can be found here.
- 1957: E.G. Phillips: Functions of a Complex Variable (8th ed.) ... (next): Chapter $\text I$: Functions of a Complex Variable: $\S 1$. Complex Numbers
- 1960: Walter Ledermann: Complex Numbers ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1.1$. Number Systems
- 1968: Ian D. Macdonald: The Theory of Groups ... (previous) ... (next): Appendix: Elementary set and number theory
- 1968: Murray R. Spiegel: Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables ... (previous) ... (next): $6$: Complex Numbers
- 1969: C.R.J. Clapham: Introduction to Abstract Algebra ... (previous) ... (next): Chapter $1$: Integral Domains: $\S 1$. Introduction
- 1974: Robert Gilmore: Lie Groups, Lie Algebras and Some of their Applications ... (previous) ... (next): Chapter $1$: Introductory Concepts: $1$. Basic Building Blocks: $3$. FIELD
- 1975: T.S. Blyth: Set Theory and Abstract Algebra ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1$. Sets; inclusion; intersection; union; complementation; number systems
- 1981: Murray R. Spiegel: Theory and Problems of Complex Variables (SI ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): $1$: Complex Numbers: The Complex Number System
- 1990: H.A. Priestley: Introduction to Complex Analysis (revised ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): $1$ The complex plane: Complex numbers $\S 1.1$ Complex numbers and their representation
- 1997: Donald E. Knuth: The Art of Computer Programming: Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms (3rd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1.2.2$: Numbers, Powers, and Logarithms
- 2003: John H. Conway and Derek A. Smith: On Quaternions And Octonions ... (next): $\S 1$: The Complex Numbers and Their Applications to $1$- and $2$-Dimensional Geometry