Baltic German mathematician whose work significantly influenced the direction of mathematics in the twentieth century.
- Born: 13 January 1876 in Dorpat, Estonia (Russian Empire) (now Tartu, Estonia)
- Died: 16 December 1959 in Berlin, Germany
Theorems and Definitions
- Gram-Schmidt Orthogonalization, also known as Gram-Schmidt Orthonormalization, or the Gram-Schmidt Process (with Jørgen Pedersen Gram)
- Hilbert-Schmidt Operator (with David Hilbert)
- Lyapunov-Schmidt Reduction (with Aleksandr Mikhailovich Lyapunov)
- Schmidt Decomposition
- Hilbert-Schmidt Integral Operator (with David Hilbert)
- Krull-Schmidt Theorem (with Wolfgang Krull)
Results named for Erhard Schmidt can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Erhard Schmidt can be found here.
- 1918: Co-founder of Mathematische Zeitschrift, with Konrad Knopp and Issai Schur
- 1929: On certainty in mathematics