Mathematician:Edmund Georg Hermann Landau
Suffered, as did (and still do) so many others, at the hands of the Nazi regime.
What made this particularly poignant is that a considerable amount of his persecution was at the hands of one of his students, Oswald Teichmüller.
- Born: 14 February 1877 in Berlin, Germany
- Died: 19 February 1938 in Berlin, Germany
Theorems and Definitions
- Landau's Function
- Landau Prime Ideal Theorem
- Landau's Problem on the Dirichlet Eta Function
- Landau's Theorem
- Landau-Kolmogorov Inequality (with Andrey Nikolaevich Kolmogorov)
- Landau-Ramanujan Constant (with Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan)
Results named for Edmund Georg Hermann Landau can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Edmund Georg Hermann Landau can be found here.
- 1908: Über die Einteilung der positiven ganzen Zahlen in vier Klassen nach der Mindeszahl der zu ihrer additiven Zusammensetzung erforderlichen Quadrate (Arch. Math. Phys Vol. 13: pp. 305 – 312)
- 1909: Handbuch der Lehre von der Verteilung der Primzahlen (2 volumes)
- 1927: Vorlesungen über Zahlentheorie (Lectures on Number Theory)
- 1930: Grundlagen der Analysis
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Edmund Georg Hermann Landau": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive