Indian astronomer, mathematician, and astrologer.
One of several early mathematicians to discover what is now known as Pascal's triangle.
Made some insightful observations in the field of optics.
- Born: 505 CE, Kapitthaka, Avanti region (roughly corresponding to modern-day Malwa)
- Died: 587 CE
- c. 575: Pancha-Siddhantika (or Pañcasiddhāntikā) ([Treatise] on the Five [Astronomical] Canons), a summary of five works, now lost:
- Surya Siddhanta
- Romaka Siddhanta
- Paulisa Siddhanta
- Vasishtha Siddhanta
- Paitamaha Siddhantas
Several works on astrology:
- Brihat Jataka: one of the five main treatises on Hindu astrology on horoscopy
- Laghu Jataka (also known as Swalpa Jataka)
- Samasa Samhita (also known as Lagu Samhita or Swalpa Samhita)
- Brihat Yogayatra (also known as Mahayatra or Yakshaswamedhiya yatra)
- Yoga Yatra (also known as Swalpa yatra)
- Tikkani Yatra
- Brihat Vivaha Patal
- Lagu Vivaha Patal (also known as Swalpa Vivaha Patal)
- Lagna Varahi
- Kutuhala Manjari
- Daivajna Vallabha (apocryphal)
Also known as
The name can also be rendered Varāhamihira.