Mathematician:Israel Moiseevich Gelfand
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Did much good work in the field of education.
Not to be confused with Alexander Gelfond.
- For his work in functional analysis, group representation, and for his seminal contributions to many areas of mathematics and its applications.
Ukrainian / Soviet / Russian
- Born: 2 September 1913, Okny, Ukraine (then part of the Russian Empire, now Krasniye Okny, in Kherson Oblast, Ukraine)
- Died: 5 October 2009, Highland Park, New Jersey, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- Gelfand Representation in Banach algebra theory
- Gelfand-Mazur Theorem in Banach algebra theory (with Stanisław Meiczyslaw Mazur)
- Gelfand-Naimark Theorem (with Mark Aronovich Naimark)
- Gelfand-Naimark-Segal Construction (with Mark Aronovich Naimark and Irving Ezra Segal)
- Gelfand-Pettis Integral (with Billy James Pettis)
- Gelfand-Shilov Space (with Georgiy Evgen'evich Shilov)
- Gelfand-Fuks Cohomology of Foliations (with Dmitry Borisovich Fuchs)
- Gelfand-Dikii Equations
- Gelfand-Kirillov Dimension (with Alexandre Aleksandrovich Kirillov)
- Gelfand-Levitan Theory (with Boris Levitan)
- Gelfand-Tsetlin Patterns (with Michael Lvovitch Tsetlin)
- Gelfand-Tsetlin Basis (with Michael Lvovitch Tsetlin)
- Gelfand Pair
- Gelfand Triple
- 1935: Abstract functions and linear operators
- 1948: Lektsii po Lineinoi Algebre
- 1962: Automorphic functions and the theory of representations
- 1963: Calculus of Variations (with S.V. Fomin) (translated into English by Richard A. Silverman)
Also known as
Variants of the transcription of his name can be seen, for example Israïl Moyseyovich Gel'fand.
Also rendered as:
- Yiddish: ישראל געלפֿאַנד
- Russian: Израиль Моисеевич Гельфанд
- Ukrainian: Ізраїль Мойсейович Гельфанд